Penile Implant Specialist in Tucson, AZ
If you've tried other treatments for erectile dysfunction with little to no success, a penile implant may be for you. The team at Southwest Premier Urology has extensive experience performing safe and effective penile implant surgery. If you're tired of living with ED in the Tucson area, contact Southwest Premier Urology today to schedule a penile implant consultation.
What is a penile implant?
A penile implant is designed to be a permanent solution for men suffering from ED and can provide an erection whenever and wherever desired. Talk to your doctor about finding the right implant to fit your lifestyle.
AMS 700™ 3-PIECE INFLATABLE PENILE IMPLANT
An inflatable penile implant, like the AMS 700 Penile Implant, may be the best treatment option for men with erectile dysfunction. A penile implant is a device that is implanted into the penis, usually on an outpatient basis. The implant is entirely concealed within the body, so no one can see it and is controlled by the user to achieve an erection. This treatment is designed to allow for spontaneity and the erection is maintained for as long as the man desires.
How it works:
The implant includes a pair of cylinders implanted in the penis, a pump placed inside the scrotum, and a reservoir of saline placed in the lower abdomen. Squeezing and releasing the pump moves fluid into the cylinders, creating an erection. The device is deflated by pressing the deflate button on the pump. The penis then returns to a soft, flaccid and natural-looking state.
AMS Ambicor™ 2-PIECE INFLATABLE PENILE IMPLANT
The AMS Ambicor Implant is an option for men who may have manual dexterity limitations and/or have undergone a previous abdominal procedure. It consists of a pair of fluid-filled cylinders implanted in the penis and a pump implanted in the scrotum. Squeezing and releasing the pump moves fluid to the cylinders, creating a rigid erection. Deflate by bending the cylinders downward at the base of the penis.
Tactra™ MALLEABLE PENILE IMPLANT
The Tactra Penile Implant is a great option for men who need a device to achieve an erection. Contained completely inside the body, the Tactra Malleable Penile Implant is simple to operate. The device can be positioned with minimal effort for use whenever the mood strikes.1 This device includes one pair of cylinders inserted into the penis. The implant can be manually positioned for intercourse and concealment when not in use, for a discreet appearance.1
Could a penile implant be right for you?
- Designed to be a permanent solution for ED6
- Spontaneous — you can have sex when the mood strikes8
- Once activated, the erection can last as long as you desire1,8
- Entirely contained inside the body — no one knows you have an implant unless you tell them6
- Designed to feel natural during intercourse and typically does not interfere with ejaculation or orgasm3,9
- Broad range of lengths available for a custom fit, depending on your anatomy
- Pre-treated with antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection
With a penile implant, the possibility of organic erections or alternative treatment options for ED are eliminated. Possible risks of a penile implant include: mechanical failure of the device, which may require revision surgery; and upon removal or replacement of the implant, the penis may become scarred, shorter or curved. Pain associated with the healing process can be expected. With the procedure, there is a risk of infection (1-2.5% risk with the Boston Scientific 3-piece inflatable penile implant) and men with diabetes, spinal cord injuries or open sores may have an increased risk of infection. Talk to your doctor for a complete list of risks, warnings and safety information.
Recommended by patients
- 98% of patients reported their erections to be excellent or satisfactory following surgery2
- 97% of patients reported overall satisfaction with a Boston Scientific implant; not a single patient reported dissatisfaction 5
- 96% of partners reported sexual activity with the implant to be excellent or satisfactory 2
Will my penis look different to me or will others notice a penile implant?
Once in place, your implant is fully concealed in your body6,10,11. It’s fully concealed in the body. No one will know unless you tell them—even in the locker room.
How long is the recovery time after ED surgery, and when can I have intercourse?
Most men return home within a day of penile implant surgery and are back to all their normal activities within a week, typically having intercourse around 6 weeks post-surgery.6,10,11
How long does an implant last? Will I ever need to replace it?
It is impossible to predict how long a particular implant will function in every patient. As with any medical device, penile implants are subject to wear and mechanical failure over time. A recent study of patients who received an AMS 700™ Penile Implant showed that the 7-year mechanical survival of a Boston Scientific penile implant is greater than 94%.7 To prolong the life of your implant, follow the advice of your urologist.
Are penile implants covered by insurance?
While most insurers cover the diagnosis and medically necessary treatment of ED, it is important to understand that coverage varies if you have insurance that covers penile implant surgery. Medicare has a national policy for ED, which includes penile implants, although coverage may depend on where you live. Work with your doctor’s office and insurance carrier to check coverage levels prior to receiving treatment. There are financial assistance programs available to help cover out-of-pocket expenses or to help cover the procedure if your private insurance will not cover it.
1. Data on file with Boston Scientific.
2. Montorsi F, Rigatti P, Carmignani G, et al. AMS three-piece inflatable implants for erectile dysfunction: a long-term multi-institutional study in 200 consecutive patients. Eur Urol. 2000 Jan;37(1):50-5.
3. Coleman E, Listiak A, Braatz G, Lange P. Effects of penile implant surgery on ejaculation and orgasm. J Sex Marital Ther. 1985 Fall;11(3):199-205.
4. AMS 700™ with MS Pump™ Penile Prosthesis Product Line Instructions for Use. American Medical Systems. 2017.
5. Natali A, Olianas R, Fisch M. Penile implantation in Europe: successes and complications with 253 implants in Italy and Germany. J Sex Med. 2008 Jun;5(6):1503-12.
6. AMS 700™ Patient Manual. Information and Instructions for Patients Considering an Inflatable Penile Prostheses. . American Medical Systems. 2012.
7. Enemchukwu EA, Kaufman MR, Whittam BM, et al. Comparative revision rates of inflatable penile prostheses using woven Dacron™ fabric cylinders. J Urol. 2013 Dec;190(6):2189-93.
8. Burnett AL, Nehra A, Breau RH, et al. Erectile Dysfunction: AUA Guideline. American Urological Association. 2018.
9. Rajpurkar A, Dhabuwala CB. Comparison of satisfaction rates and erectile function in patients treated with sildenafil, intracavernous prostaglandin E1 and penile implant surgery for erectile dysfunction in urology practice. J Urol. 2003 Jul;170(1):159-63.
10. AMS Ambicor™ Penile Prosthesis Patient Manual. Information and Instructions for Patient Considering and Inflatable Penile Prosthesis. American Medical Systems, Inc. 2016
11. Tactra™ Malleable Penile Prosthesis Patient Manual. Information and instructions for patients considering a Tactra Malleable Penile Prosthesis. Boston Scientific, 2019.
View Important Safety Information. Caution: U.S. Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.
All images are the property of Boston Scientific. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2020 Boston Scientific Corporation. All rights reserved. EDCure.org is a website sponsored by Boston Scientific. MH-751203-AA MAR 2020.
Schedule a Penile Implant Consultation in Tucson, AZ
Contact Dr. Tristan Berry if you would like to further explore the benefits of penile implants and whether it will be right for you. When you schedule a consultation with Southwest Premier Urology, Dr. Tristan Berry will provide you with comprehensive diagnosis and answer any questions you may have about your availale penile implant options. Call our office at (520) 348-7900 today or request an appointment through our secure online form.